The George Washington University seeks candidates who have demonstrated potential for management and leadership, and who have the intellectual ability, maturity, initiative, and creativity to participate in this challenging environment. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited college or university or an equivalent academic credential from a recognized international university.
Applicants are required to submit:
- A completed application form with the non-refundable application fee
- A current resume with education and work history outline
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one professional and one academic)
- A Statement of Purpose — a 250 to 500-word essay describing your academic and professional goals
- A bachelor's degree with at least a B average (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or equivalent from an accredited college or university; students with foreign credentials should speak directly with an Enrollment Advisor
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- A record of previous graduate-level coursework, when available
- Official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for students who are from countries where English is not an official language and for those who do not hold a degree from an accredited American institution of higher learning. The Test of Written English (TWE) is also recommended, and
- Three or more years of relevant, full-time, professional work experience
- Official results of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) general test
Preference in admission is given to those applicants with strong academic credentials, appropriate undergraduate preparation, and relevant work experience. An undergraduate major in political science or communications, although helpful, is not required.
With advisor approval, up to nine credit hours of coursework may be accepted as transfer credit. Such coursework must have been taken within the past two years, must be related in subject matter, must not have been applied toward another degree, and must have been successfully completed with a grade of B or better.